Thursday, August 9, 2007

Musical Madness

I play the piano and the guitar--the latter, not well. Lately, I've taken up the Irish Feadog. It's a simple whistle, in the key of D, and I like the way it sounds. Well, Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star sounds good on it anyway. (grin)

Music has always been a part of my life in some way. I remember going to church with my family and listening to my mother sing and play the piano. She still does, though her lupus makes it hard for her. I guess, surrounded by that kind of environment, it was inevitable that I'd play and sing, too.

Music has been my second love--and playing an instrument is an exercise in letting the subconscious work while your public mind is busy with the notes. Music makes me relax and work out a problem and helps put me in the mood to write.

As a side benefit, that whistle is improving my breathing. You got to keep your breath slow and controlled to produce the sound you want. Now, if I could only play Beethoven on it....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I thought twinkle twinkle WAS beethoven...