Saturday, July 11, 2009

Changes

I've dropped the snippet updates for the progress bar to the right. MarFisk of Forward Motion is the creator of that progress bar, and it works well.

Another change I've made is in the working title. Instead of "Soul Survivor", the WIP is now called "Dragon Crown."

Here's a brief snippet of what I've been working on.

First draft. Please don't quote or repost elsewhere. Thanks!

She could hear the aides talking. She’d worked out that they were nurse’s aides some time ago, during one of her lucid moments.

“….so I kicked him out and told him if he wanted that kind of relationship, he should pick somebody off the street.”

“Bet that made an impression. Sounds like a real moron to me. Help me turn her over. She might be developing a bed sore and Salizar wants her turned.”

She couldn’t see them and she couldn’t feel them touching or moving her. She tried to grunt or do anything to make them aware she heard, but nothing seemed to happen.

“I’ll be back in a second. I need to check on number 26,” the second voice said.

Footsteps, then a phone rang.

“Hello,” the first voice said. Then, “Tim, I told you not to call me at work.” Indeterminate sounds. “Yes, I am at work. I’m with the patient I told you about, you know, the basket case—the one who lost her son, then drove off the side of a cliff.”

Screaming inside, she tried to see, to get up, to do anything but listen to that voice. The voice faded and she drove the car, the highway sliding underneath, the white stripes blinking faster and faster through the wash of her tears….

No comments: